Emphasizing the role of technologies and innovation, India has declared 2010-20 as the ‘Decade of Innovation’. The Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) have come together to organize The India International Science Festival (IISF) every year, since 2015 to encourage scientific temper among the masses and showcasing Indian contribution in the field of S&T over the years. The previous two editions of IISF held at New Delhi have been a great success.
The 3rd edition of IISF 2017 will be held in Chennai during 13-16 October, 2017 at various venues which include Anna University, Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), Structural Engineering Research Centre (SERC), National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT) and IIT-Madras.
The prime objective of the festival is to instill scientific temper among the masses and showcasing India’s contribution in the field of S&T over the years. It aims to build a strategy for rural India through the advancement of Science and Technology. Further, the science festival also intends to make innovation beneficial for the people and develop technology that is affordable to the masses.
Major Activities during the Festival will be:
- Special Thematic Session on ‘Deep Ocean Research’
- Science & Technology Minister’s Conclave
- Sensitizing Youth to Flagship Programs of Government (SYPOG)
- Science Village: Parliament to Panchayat’’
- National Meet on ‘Social Organisations and Institutions’: ‘Transforming India through Science & Technology’
- Women Scientists & Entrepreneur’s Conclave
- National Science Teachers Workshops (Focusing North East States)
- Industry Academia Interaction
- Mega Science, Technology & Industry Expo
- India International Science Festival
- Grassroots Innovators Summit
- National Start-up Summit
- Round Table Meet on Mass Communication
- World Record attempt will be made in “Largest Biology Lesson”
- National Level Competitions – Ideas for Bharat Nirman
- Outreach Programme in R&D Labs
- Satellite Seminars
- Cultural Events
The IISF is not only a celebration of science and technology through exhibitions and relevant events, but also has been geared up to spread awareness on the flagship programs like ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’, ‘Swasth Bharat Abhiyan’, ‘Make in India’ and ‘Digital India’.