The country’s oldest research reactor ‘Apsara’, which was shut down permanently in 2009 for revamp, has been recommissioned with a higher capacity. It was recommissioned after upgradation. The reactor came into existence in August 1956 and was utilised for various experiments including neutron activation analysis, radiation damage studies, forensic research, neutron radiography, and shielding experiments. Nearly 62 years after Apsara came into existence, a swimming pool type research reactor ‘Apsara-upgraded’ of higher capacity was commissioned. The reactor made indigenously uses plate type dispersion fuel elements made of low enriched uranium. The upgraded reactor will increase indigenous production of radio-isotopes for medical application. By virtue of higher neutron flux, this reactor will increase production of radio-isotopes for medical application by about 50 per cent and would also be extensively used for research in nuclear physics, material science and radiation shielding.